From the Fauvism of Matisse to the Surrealism of Magritte, this six-week programme will introduce you to the many artistic movements that erupted in European painting during the first half of the twentieth century. Along the way you will meet the most important European artists, such as Picasso, Mondrian, Duchamp and Dali, amongst many others. You will learn about the radical developments that transformed European art, and about some of the great works that have sold at Christie’s. In special features that accompany the course, you will also learn about the market for Modern art, and how it developed from collectors buying directly from artists, to today’s sales of their works for tens and even hundreds of millions of dollars. This series of exclusive video interviews gives you access to those who helped build the market for modern art, and those currently at the forefront of it.
Exclusive interviews feature:
- Peter Johnson, Rockefeller Family Historian, on the Rockefeller collections of modern art
- Stephen Lash, Christie’s Chairman Emeritus, on the restitution and sale of the major Klimts of Adele Bloch-Bauer
- Christopher Burge and John Lumley, in conversation, on sourcing works of modern art and how they built the market from the 1960s to the 1990s
- Michelle McMullan, Christie’s Senior Specialist, on the determinants of value in modern paintings
- Rebecca Wei, Christie’s Chairman Asia, on trends in collecting modern art in Asian regions
- Giovanna Bertazzoni, Christie’s Co-Chairman of Impressionist & Modern Art, on today’s market for modern art
Registration is now open for this course, you can register today by clicking on Enrol Now against your preferred course dates in the Course Dates tab.
Watch our trailer video for an overview of the course
© René Magritte (1898–1967), L’empire des lumières © ADAGP, Paris and DACS, London 2019
By the end of this course:
- You will have gained a solid understanding of the development of modern art in Europe in the first half of the twentieth century
- You will be able to identify the major movements, styles and artists active in Europe during this period
- You will understand how modern artists looked to each other, to the past, and across cultures as they developed their innovative styles
- You will have learned that modern artists were at the vanguard of the visual arts, actively seeking to understand and develop the meaning of ‘art’
- You will have learned how the First World War and major societal shifts impacted the lives of artists and their practice
- You will be introduced to Modernist works sold at Christie’s, and seen how the history of Modernism is traceable through works at auction
- In a series of special features, you will be introduced to the stories of those active at the important moments in the market for modern art, and will have learned about today’s global market, the boom years of the 1980s, major collectors of the early years of modern art, as well as how modern art is valued and authenticated today
Session One – Fauvism
Matisse, Derain, Vlaminck, Braque
Session Two – Expressionism
Kirchner, Schmidt-Rottluff, Heckel, Nolde, Kandinsky, Marc, Münter, Jawlensky, Schiele
Session Three – Cubism
Picasso, Braque, Gris, Metzinger, Delaunay, Léger, Duchamp
Session Four – Futurism, Suprematism, De Stijl
Boccioni, Balla, Severini, Goncharova, Malevich, af Klint, Mondrian
Session Five – Dada and Return to Order
Arp, Schwitters, Höch, Hausmann, Duchamp, Grosz, Dix, Beckmann, Picasso, Léger, Derain
Session Six – Surrealism
De Chirico, Ernst, Tanguy, Sage, Carrington, Tanning, Miró, Dalí, Magritte
Course Dates for 2019 - 2020
Course Dates for 2019 - 2020
16 July - 26 August, 2019 Enrol Now
Online Orientation opens on July 9, 2019
17 September - 28 October, 2019 Enrol Now
Online Orientation opens on September 10, 2019
Enrol on this course for $1,350 if registering before Aug 13, 2019
5 November - 16 December, 2019 Enrol Now
Online Orientation opens on October 29, 2019
Enrol on this course for $1,350 if registering before Oct 1, 2019
21 January - 2 March, 2020 Enrol Now
Online Orientation opens on January 14, 2020
Enrol on this course for $1,350 if registering before Dec 10, 2019
21 April - 1 June, 2020 Enrol Now
Online Orientation opens on April 14, 2020
Enrol on this course for $1,350 if registering before Mar 10, 2020
The course will require approximately two hours of study time per week. There will be further reading and weekly assignments. A series of handouts will be supplied to supplement the online course material.
Read our Frequently Asked Questions to find out more information about online courses.
The course is facilitated through an online learning environment that is compatible with most modern browsers. It is the responsibility of students to have the proper hardware and software required to participate, along with access to Wifi. The basic technical requirements can be found in the FAQs.
Terms and Conditions
Please ensure you read carefully through our terms and conditions before enrolling on a course.
Lectures developed and written by Mari Griffith with additional material by William Paton. Presented by Ben Street. Online tutoring throughout the course is by Christie’s Education faculty.
For any queries about this course please contact
Sarah Buccarelli, Online Courses Department
Telephone: +1 212 355 1501