Explore the glamour and exquisite craftsmanship of Haute Joaillerie from the Belle Époque to the present day. Vanessa Cron brings high jewellery to life, revealing the context of its creation throughout the twentieth century in this introduction to jewellery design. Encounter the patrons, jewellers and fashions that made Europe the epicentre of influential new styles of jewellery, and see the global reach of high jewellery in the twenty-first century.
Including exclusive interviews with: Chaumet, Mellerio dits Meller, Cartier, Boucheron, Van Cleef & Arpels, Wallace Chan, François Curiel on JAR and Viren Bhagat.
Registration is now open for this course, you can register today by clicking on Enrol Now against your preferred course dates in the Course Dates tab.
Watch our trailer video for an overview of the course
By the end of this course:
- You will be able to identify jewellery from the Belle Epoque to today by period.
- You will know the major fashions and jewellery houses, and understand how each influenced the other to create extraordinary jewels.
- You will have been introduced to fashionable royalty, celebrities, magnates and artists whose patronage inspired jewellery designers.
- You will have a broad understanding of the importance and mythology behind different gems, materials and motifs used in European jewellery.
- You will have seen prominent contemporary jewellers at work, and have gained an insight into their personal inspirations and impact on today’s collectors.
Watch an excerpt from Session 4: Retro Jewellery, about how French jewellery designers discovered new ways to create exceptional pieces in the aftermath of war.
Week 1 - Belle Époque (1890 - 1914)
Week 2 - Art Nouveau (1895 - 1910)
Course Dates for 2019
Week 3 - Art Deco (1915 - 1935)
Week 4 - Retro (1935 - 1955)
Week 5 - Modern (1960 - 1980)
Week 6 - Contemporary (1980 - Now)
Course Dates for 2019
January 18 - March 7, 2019 Enrol Now
Online Orientation opens on January 11, 2019
Enrol on this course for $1,350 if registering before 10 December 2018
April 12 - May 30, 2019 Enrol Now
Online Orientation opens on April 5, 2019
Enrol on this course for $1,350 if registering before 1 March 2019
July 12 - August 29, 2019 Enrol Now
Enrol on this course for $1,350 if registering before 31 May 2019
Online Orientation opens on July 5, 2019
The course will require approx. 2.5 hrs of study time per week. There will be weekly assignments with set texts and optional further reading.
Read our Frequently Asked Questions to find out more information about online courses.
The course is facilitated through an online learning environment that is compatible with most modern browsers. It is the responsibility of students to have the proper hardware and software required to participate, along with access to Wifi. The basic technical requirements can be found in the FAQs.
Terms and Conditions
Please ensure you read carefully through our terms and conditions before enrolling on a course.
For any queries about this course please contact
Sarah Buccarelli, Online Courses Department
Telephone: +1 212 355 1501