Exclusive offer: Study for 40% less than the price of a certificate course when you enrol onto a self-directed option. Offer ends 8 December
Discover the essentials of European art history from 1350-1850 in these six lavishly-produced lessons. Over six weeks, the course will take you from the Early Renaissance in Italy through to Romanticism in Britain, introducing you to the artists we call the great masters. By looking in detail at the principal works of the masters, you will develop an understanding of the major styles they have come to represent, and their influence on successive generations of artists.
Included in the course are exclusive features giving you access to the people working at the forefront of the Old Masters field, offering you unparalleled insight into their roles, expertise, and motivations.
- Christie’s Global President Jussi Pylkkänen on the experience of auctioneering Salvator Mundi
- Christie’s London Specialist revealing the intricate process of hanging the exhibition of Old Masters in the days before an auction
- Christie’s London Head of Day Sale on the significant research that goes into cataloguing works of art by the Old Masters
- Dr Molly Dorkin, of the Dickinson gallery, on today’s market for Old Masters
- CEO of TEFAF, Patrick van Maris, discussing running the largest Old Masters art fair in the world
- Bart Cornelis, Curator of the Dutch and Flemish Old Masters at the National Gallery, London, on curating a collection of international importance
- You will be provided with comprehensive tutorial notes to accompany the course, which are yours to download and keep. The notes expand on the ideas raised during the lectures and provide context, additional information, and explanation
- Detailed hand-outs on Saints and Subjects in Christian Art, Classical Gods and Goddesses and How to Read a Painting are also provided to all students of this course
What you will learn:
- You will have gained a solid understanding of the great works of art created in Europe from the Early Renaissance to Romanticism.
- You will be able to identify the major movements, styles and artists active in Europe during this period. You will have gained an understanding of the significant similarities and differences between works of art created in different parts of Europe.
- You will have been taught how artists’ influence spread across geography and time, and which artists significantly changed the course of art.
- You will have learned how Old Master pictures have been bought and sold throughout history, and how they are brought to today’s market.
- You will understand the process by which Christie’s curates a sale of Old Masters, from research and conservation to the auction itself, with particular reference to the record-breaking sale of Leonardo da Vinci’s Salvator Mundi at Christie’s New York.
Registration is open for this course, you can register today by clicking on Enrol Now against your preferred course dates in the Course dates tab.
This course has been CPD certified.
Request for Information
Request for more information about our online courses.
Watch our trailer video for an overview of the course
Image: Sandro Botticelli, The Birth of Venus, 1480
Watch an excerpt from Session One - Giotto, Botticelli, Campin, Van Eyck, Early Renaissance: Italy & Northern Europe 1300-1490.
The Christie’s Education Online Course Experience
Find out how you study with us
- Online courses are designed for students to study when it is most convenient for them. Our pre-recorded lectures are filmed with documentary-style production values, taking you on a narrative-led journey through your chosen subject.
- Each module's lecture lasts for approximately one hour.
- Our courses are arranged in modules, containing your lectures and special features. Each week, a new module will open for you to study, allowing you to explore the content at your own pace. Typically, our courses consist of six modules overall.
- Handouts and English subtitles are provided to reinforce your learning.
- Discussion boards allow networking with fellow students.
- You have three weeks after the course has finished to complete your assignments and discuss the course with your tutor.
- All video lectures and course materials remain available to students for six months.
- Tutor contact is available for nine weeks from the start of your course, and all lectures are available for an additional six months.
- If you complete all the assignments and complete the course, you will receive a Certificate of Completion. Certificates are not available for self-directed courses.
The course will require between two to three hours of study time per week. There will be further reading and weekly assignments.
Read our Frequently Asked Questions to find out more information about online courses.
The course is facilitated through an online learning environment that is compatible with most modern browsers. It is the responsibility of students to have the proper hardware and software required to participate, along with access to WiFi. The basic technical requirements can be found in the FAQs.
Terms and Conditions
Please ensure you read carefully through our terms and conditions before enrolling on a course.
‘The quality of the videos is impeccable. For an online course, it provided a great deal of knowledge with a reasonable expectation of assignments - the assignments were appropriate both the questions asked and the involvement required. I greatly enjoyed the interaction with the tutor during this course! She provided wonderful feedback and individual feedback that really added to my understanding of the material.’
‘The material provided was very appropriate and added to the experience. As an online 6-week course, it was perfect.’
‘I would recommend the course as it is high quality videos and discusses the major aspects of the subject. The points made, pieces of art talked about and overall discussion was interesting yet intriguing. It combined providing a good knowledge base/foundation of the topic with interesting and thoughtful analyzes that encouraged us to think/engage as deeply as we wanted to with the material.’
‘I fully recommend the online course, and I also enjoyed coming to NYC for the day course.’
'The videos are spectacular! Not only very informative but also help you feel 'included' in the Christie's community. The hand-outs are wonderful guides as well – I need all the reminders I can get on the who's who of saints and characters of mythology.'
‘I liked the comprehensive approach which included video, assignments and reading...’
‘It gives an excellent bird’s eye view of the masters through that period.’
‘I enjoyed the material immensely. The videos were high quality both in the video production as well as the discussion itself. It was also wonderful to discuss my assignments with Jacqui and hear her thoughtful feedback, which added greatly to the way in which I thought about the pieces of art.’
‘The tutor notes were very helpful.’
'I've not taken too many online courses, but this one has given support to my desire to continue.'
'I am glad to benefit with these great videos.'
'I liked best the comprehensive approach which included video, assignments and reading...'
'I really appreciate all the efforts that go into preparing these courses. The videos, the incredible amount of knowledge, all the suggestions for further readings, and thoughtful review of our work. It is a pleasure to be participating.'