Charting the Contemporary: Contemporary Sculpture
Public sculpture has recently been the locus of political and social debate in the United States. This course will examine these controversies and explore responses by contemporary artists today. Dealing with both private and public art, lectures will examine the medium, the context and the cultural significance of contemporary sculptors working today.
- Modernism (Brancusi, Duchamp, Giacometti)
- Post-war Sculpture (Noguchi, Bourg, Nevelson, Bontecou, Chamberlain, D.Smith, Beuys)
- Minimalism and its Legacy
- Social Engagement and Art in the Public Sphere (Pope L., Theaster Gates, Wodiczko....)
- Memory (Kara Walker, Michael Rakowitz, Kehinde Wiley, Rachel Whiteread)