Charting the Contemporary: Contemporary Paintings
Despite the too common declaration by art critics and historians that “painting is dead,” painting has been and remains alive and well. This is the first in a series of contemporary courses designed to provide an academic overview of themes in contemporary art. This course focuses on contemporary painting from the 1980s to the present, with an emphasis on art produced in the last decade.
1. Setting the Stage for the Contemporary
2. Dematerialization of the Object: The Death of Painting?
3. Contemporary Painting: Identity and Appropriation
4. Contemporary Painting: Figuration and Abstraction
5. Contemporary Painting: Globalism and Memory
6. Beyond Painting: Social Engagement and Experience
- Understand the historical precedents for contemporary painting
- Identify major contemporary painters and themes in contemporary painting