About Christie's Education
Christie’s Education is a specialist institution in the study of art business and the art market, art history and art world ecosystems, curating and connoisseurship. Our teaching philosophy is rooted in a knowledge culture that respects original inquiry and learning and that reflects a commitment to principles of equality, diversity and inclusivity.
Christie’s Education offers a wide range of continuing education opportunities in, New York, London and Asia, designed to introduce the fundamentals of art, collecting and art business, as well as advanced courses for those with an appetite to study at a deeper level. In addition, our online courses provide a fully immersive experience of the art world, enabling anyone in the world to access learning from any location.
Founded in London in 1978, the original mission of Christie’s Education, was to provide a general introduction to the fine and decorative arts through ‘The Christie’s Fine Arts Course’, which was designed to enhance the appreciation of works then offered through auction by our parent company. Since those early days, we have evolved and progressed and now we look forward to a new phase in our development as a specialist art institution.
Christie's Education is a for-profit institution wholly owned by the Christie's International PLC group of companies (Christie's).
The History of Christie's Education
Founded in London in 1978, Christie’s Education has evolved into a leading international art institute with locations in the cultural centers of New York and Hong Kong. The institute has expanded its core educational offering over the years, now focusing on delivering continuing education and online learning that specialize in all facets of the global art world.
Timeline of Key Dates
- 1978 – Christie’s Education was conceived in London by the auction house to promote the study of the global art market through hands-on experience of works of art and art world practice, the first course was ‘The Christie’s Fine Arts Course’
- 1993 – Christie’s Education expands internationally by establishing the institute in New York, offering the Master’s and Certificate programme in Modern and Contemporary Art
- 1990s – Christie’s Education was established in Asia, initially offering courses in Hong Kong to coincide with the major international sales and fairs in the late 1990s
- 1998 – Christie’s Education introduces the first art business course in London pioneering art business education in the United Kingdom
- 2008 – Christie’s Education London partners with the University of Glasgow to offer undergraduate and postgraduate programmes specialising in art history
- 2010 – The first Art Business Certificate program is launched in New York making it one of the first programmes of its kind in the industry in the United States
- 2013 – Christie’s Education London introduces the postgraduate programme MSc Art, Law and Business pioneering art business in higher education in the United Kingdom
- 2016 – Christie’s Education New York expands graduate programme offering to include the M.A. in Art, Law and Business after the success of the programme in London
- 2017 – Christie’s Education online courses launches offering students the flexibility to learn about the art world from any location, and Christie’s Education postgraduate programme in London become accredited with The Open University
- 2019 – Christie’s Education launches the postgraduate degree programme MA Art History and Art World Practice in London
- 2020 – Christie's Education ceases the higher education provision in both London and New York