Negotiating the Art Market: Collecting, Buying and Selling Art
Negotiating the Art Market: Collecting, Buying and Selling Art is a cross disciplinary course that provides participants with a set of skills and knowledge that are highly transferable to the art world and its professional practices. Rather than being strictly academic, the course offers those wishing to receive a certificate on completion the opportunity to submit a plan for an art business using the information delivered in the sessions.
Led by experts in their fields, this virtual course will highlight the key aspects of the art world and its markets allowing participants to interact directly with the lecturers and will also provide a key opportunity to network with like-minded people. Whether you are interested in launching an art business, thinking of working in the art world or looking to change your career, this course will offer you all the essential information required to get started.
Topics that will be covered:
- How they work - Galleries, Auction Houses, Museums, Art Fairs…
- How galleries, fairs, markets conduct transactions – including fair pay practice, paying artists, staff.
- The Online Art Market
- Art world legal structures
- Contract Law. How contracts are formed.
- Law and fraud/ authenticity.
- The Value of Art – how to value works
- Tax - Direct and Indirect.
- Art Insurance
- Creative/ copyright law/ intellectual property. Artists rights.
- Logistics - Practicalities of moving artwork. Art Handling.
- The future of these Art Markets.
- The history of the art market, the art ecosystem and its key players
- The legal, financial and regulatory frameworks that exist within the art world ecosystem
- The current state of today’s global art industry
All students will receive a letter of completion at the end of the course. For those students who submit the essay at the end of the course will be eligible to receive a Christie's Education Certificate.
For more information on instalment payments, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
This course will be delivered online via Zoom. All participants will receive information in advance about how to access the course before it commences.