OverviewThis five part virtual learning course will give you a comprehensive introduction on the how to build and care for a collection, whether it be fine art masterpieces, a personal collection of antiques and jewellery, or anything else.
The course will focus on one prestigious private collection kept in many homes around the world, but with examples from other collection types including museums, historic houses, auction houses and dealerships.
You will learn how to record, catalogue and photograph a collection to the highest professional standards, as well as how to maintain the conservation, insurance, loans, shipping and auditing of a collection over time.
What will you experience?
The sessions will be a mixture of presentations and interactive discussions with a final, “behind-the-scenes” lecture on one collection.
Why study this course?
This course will enable participants to understand the various implications associated with maintaining and conserving a collection and provide them with practical skills to move towards a career in this field.
Who should take this course?
Anyone who is interested in starting a collection or has a collection and would like to learn more about managing it – Industry professionals who would like to increase their knowledge and professional development.
- The UK SPECTRUM standards of collections care and how to meet them
- How to care for your own art collection
- What to expect from shippers, insurers, framers and museums in relation to your collection
- How to confidently talk about collections management, to aid with interviews and the beginnings of a career in the art world.
- Practically applicable knowledge, useful for furthering careers in museums and the art world