Fundamentals of Art Business
The Fundamentals of Art Business is a cross disciplinary course that provides participants with a set of skills and knowledge that are highly transferable to the art world and its professional practices. Rather than being strictly academic, the course offers those wishing to receive a certificate on completion the opportunity to submit a plan for an art business using the information delivered in the sessions.
Led by experts in their fields, this virtual course will highlight the key aspects of the art world and its markets allowing participants to interact directly with the lecturers and will also provide a key opportunity to network with like-minded people. Whether you are interested in launching an art business, thinking of working in the art world or looking to change your career, this course will offer you all the essential information required to get started.
Topics that will be covered
- How they work - Galleries, Auction Houses, Museums, Art Fairs…
- How galleries, fairs, markets conduct transactions – including fair pay practice, paying artists, staff.
- Fundamentals of launching a business in the art world - Different basics of cash flow in arts organisations.
- Art world legal structures
- Contract Law. How contracts are formed.
- Law and fraud/ authenticity.
- The Value of Art – how to value works
- Tax - Direct and Indirect.
- Art Insurance
- Creative/ copyright law/ intellectual property. Artists rights.
- Logistics - Practicalities of moving artwork. Art Handling.
- The future of these Art Markets
What will you learn
- The history of the art market, the art ecosystem and its key players
- The legal, financial and regulatory frameworks that exist within the art world ecosystem
- The current state of today’s global art industry
Please note that the virtual course session will not be recorded due to intellectual property rights.